Sunday, August 22, 2010

Marvelous Monday

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." Matthew 18:19-20

This came to mind recently while on facebook. You know those things, "Like this if your dog is awesome." Well I recently read one that several people liked, "Going to church doesn't make you a christian anymore than standing in the garage makes you a car." At one time I would have completely agreed with this. I still agree that just because you go to church does not make you a christian.

BUT, I also believe that as a christian you should be involved in some way with other christians. In my case it is church, life groups, small groups, working in the church, etc. Other people may do one of those things, or something completely different. I just believe that someone needs to be rooted in something with other believers.

As a teenager, I was offended by my church, and it sadly took me a long time to be free from that offense. Once we moved to Colorado, the church we attended was convenient for me. Go when I want, get in and out, not too much, but I was still a christian. Only now do I realize how much I was prohibiting my spiritual growth.

After changing churches, and becoming involved in our amazing church now, I see what I was missing. Was there anything wrong with those other churches? No. It was me. I like what my pastor talks about, to paraphrase, "it is not what the church does for you, it is what you do for the church." Jesus came to this earth to be serve, not to be served. Are we excepting our churches today to feed us spiritually, and and make us feel good, but we do nothing for the kingdom?

Things I have found after I became planted in the church are irreplaceable. I don't want to elaborate too much, but are you planted in a church? If not, is there someone who is in agreement with you? Are you involved in something that two or three are coming together, and praising God, and he is there with you? Are you planted and bearing fruit? Are you serving, and using your God given gifts to further his kingdom?

I was not, and this is something I will always be working on. I say this not to be boastful, or to lecture. I just know that this mindset changed my life. You can never have too many people praying for you. You can never have too many blessings. And you can certainly never be too close to God.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I have a similar story to you. Wasn’t terribly interested in church as a young adult but I truly enjoy and look forward to going to my church these days. I think those that desire to know God also have a desire to come together with others similar to themselves. I think of the believers in other countries where they’re not as free to gather. They huddle in homes in the dark fearing for their lives. We really are blessed to live in a country where we can openly gather and worship. Good thing so many missionaries are determined to build churches in areas where none exist. A church is a great place for growth and teaching. God is everywhere, but for me there is a need a desire to gather with other believers.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderfully said! We are so blessed to gather and worship freely!

    ReplyDelete