Monday, January 24, 2011

Brady's Birth Story Part 1

I wanted to share Brady's birth story before the current bun in the oven is born, and I feel a lull in my blogging at the moment, so now is as good a time as any. I also do not want to get the two birth stories confused, so I want to document this one while it is fresh in my mind. I kept a journal for Brady starting with the day that I found out I was pregnant with him, as well as the new baby, but I also want this to be on the blog. I am splitting it up into three parts because I want to include a little before story, as well as a little after story. So warning it is kinda long. If this is super boring to you, then why do you read my blog? Just kidding, just skip it, and more Brady activities will be on the blog soon.

So to begin...

First of all, I have mentioned before that Brady had been prayed over long before he was ever conceived. We actually tried for over two years to get pregnant with him. I had tons of doctors appointments, 7 rounds of a mild fertility drug, blood tests, ultrasounds, painful tests involving a balloon and my uterus (ouch), Jeremy giving me fertility shots in the bum, and an outpatient surgery. And all of that is not cheap! I would not wish that on anyone but it changed me, and my faith. We never really got a true explanation on what was causing problems. Almost all of the tests came back fine. Our next step, after the surgery was an IUI, which is much more expensive, and we were very apprehensive about. It is a great option for a lot of people, but I wanted my baby the old fashioned way. Thankfully, after the surgery, and the doctor removing a little bit of endometriosis, the very next month we got pregnant. On our own! It was one of the best days of my life to know we were finally pregnant!

Brady was due on Friday, June 27th, 2008. It was a wonderful pregnancy. Other than getting a little sick while on vacation in Argentina, I was healthy, and elated the entire time. I was sure I was having a girl. We had waited so long for our baby, that it was no question that we were going to find out what it was. Even though I thought it was a girl, I secretly wanted a boy. We needed a boy, otherwise due to Jeremy's sisters and girl cousins, the last name would die. We were so excited to find out we were having a boy, and we have loved that sweet boy ever since.
Proud papa after the it's a boy ultrasound
Toward the end of my pregnancy, I still felt great, I slept well, and was not too uncomfortable. My whole pregnancy I wanted to do whatever I could to try to have a natural birth. I worked out, and took classes and studied up. I was so determined that when we went on our hospital tour and were taken near the rooms where c-sections take place, I started crying. One of my biggest fears was that I would not be able to hold my baby right after he was born. In fact I am honestly still very fearful of this. Those first few moments of bonding are so special.

By the 9th of June, (37 1/2 weeks pregnant) I was 2cm dilated, and 50% effaced. I thought I would definitely have Brady before my due date. By the 17th of June, (38 1/2 weeks pregnant) I was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. My doctor, and I were both surprised that I was not in labor yet. At that point I thought any day. By my due date, June 27th, I was still 3cm and 80% effaced. I also had a non-stress test to make sure Brady could stay in there as long as I could hang on. Of course he did great. I did not want to induce so we set up more appointments for non-stress tests, and decided if he still was not here by the 5th of July we would induce.

That afternoon, Jeremy and I enjoyed a nice time together. I was really craving flavored shaved ice, not just a snow cone, so he took me all over town to look for one. We did not find it, but I settled for a good sonic drink. We also stopped at a fruit and veggie stand to get some fresh produce, and I was excited to get a tomato because this was during a salmonella tomato scare. I had that delicous tomato as a snack, and that night Jeremy made me one of the best meals I have ever had. It was some kind of chicken with artichokes, in a lemony cream sauce with a side of couscous. It was so good, but because it was one of his crazy on the fly creations, we have no idea how to recreate it!
less than 24 hours before I had Brady, my due date

While I was pregnant I had a friend, Becky who was due two days after me. Turns out she went into labor, and had her son on my due date. I remember being sad that night because I thought I would have my baby first. After being upset, we decided to have a nice relaxing weekend, and to just enjoy our last weekend baby free. Little did I know how much our lives would change that next morning!

2 comments:

  1. I think you mean July 5? Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading birth stories, all so different. I didn't have a C-section but I did deliver in the OR and didn't get to hold Sean for several hours. I think the relief of safely getting the child into the world overcomes the feeling or desire to hold him right away. You just want him taken care of. But then again, I thought the Dr's do hand a c-section baby to mama right away? oh, but then i guess they take baby away so you can be sewn up. But I agree, there must be a special bond when you get to hold your just birthed baby. Excited to read the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete