Saturday, April 24, 2010

So tired!

We are so tired. It is day 7 of the big boy bed, and honestly it is going horribly. We are all exhausted. I cannot figure out where it all went wrong, but it was about a week ago. Brady does not like his bed.

At first we let him cry it out. That worked when he was a baby. But this time, he ended up crying 3+ hours a day.

Tuesday night he cried for an hour, and finally fell asleep. He was very destructive during the crying. We could tell from underneath his door, that his lamp was on, which we did not do. He has a Jack-n-Jill bathroom, so we were able to go in and turn the light off, and this is what we found.

We moved him back to his bed, and once again the crying started, an half hour later he fell finally asleep in front of the door again.

Wednesday, I bought him a rail for the bed. I was hoping that it would add some security for him, and also he would not be able to roll out. It ended up just being a way for him to be more destructive, and do this.

Once again, he spent most of the night sleeping on the carpet in front of the door.

Thursday night we tried a different approach. I waited in his room, slowly moving away from him, as he fell asleep. He woke up around two, and I tried the same approach. This time it would not work, and he was not obeying so I left him in there. He finally fell asleep at 3.

Last night, the same approach worked well, and it only took ten minutes for him to fall asleep. He work up around 11 and I got him to go back to sleep. He woke up around once again around 2. I had backed all the way out of his room in my 20 minute process, and he was pretty much asleep. Then big horse, Coco, comes up wagging her tail like a bat against the wall, and of course wakes Brady up. (I almost strangled her!) I had enough, then it was Jerm's turn. He fell asleep in Brady's room, and they both woke up on the floor of Brady's room this morning.

Also naps are thirty minutes or less.

We are struggling. I would gladly trade the sleep habits of newborn Brady, than this phase. "This to shall pass" comes into my head many times a day.

Our new plan is, sit with Brady while he falls asleep. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, or his nap, then he has to cry it out. His bed time is 8-7, and his nap time is 1-3.

This will work, but we may have to buy a ton of ear plugs first.

No comments:

Post a Comment